Sunday, September 22, 2024

Random Update: Making terrain

 Okay, it's been way too long since I've updated here. I have been working on things here and there, but sitting down at the keyboard has been a little hard to do. So I thought I'd share some terrain I made. I may do a How To article about it in the future, but time will tell.

If you're curious, I found one of those novelty check in a Dumpster years ago and bough it home. Over the years, I've used about 2/3 of it now, as well as some other pieces I've been able to find here and there. I do have a lot more projects I'd like to do, too.

First off, let me explain how I started. I drew some outlines on a piece of card stock and then used them as a template on the piece of foamcore, trying to fit as many of them on there as I could. All in all, I think I did a decent job.

Here's a picture of the pile I ended up with:

With this done, I started using some bones I picked up at the Dollar Tree, some tropical trees I ordered on Amazon, and then some rocks that came in a bag of stuff I also ordered on Amazon. That is something I'll need to talk about in the future, too...

Anyway, here's what it looked like when I finished:

Now, that pile to the right is everything left over. That circle piece is about 6" around, so I'm setting aside in case I need something in the future. The thing in the back with the skull and bones is going to be used as a "Shrine" in Reign in Hell (when I get a chance to play that again). 

When it came to making the various "forests," I wanted to have them work as terrain, rather than have them look realistic. That's why they have trees around the edges and not in the middle. To break them up a little bit, I used the rocks and bones. I also made a thing of bones to act as area terrain, as well as the collection of rocks. I left some of the smaller pieces aside to be used as some ponds or pools.

I also made myself a little graveyard.

Yeah, I know, I should have left some more space along that one edge. I don't care.

Anyway. The next step is putting some sand on them, putting down some primer, and then painting everything up. I already have some craft paint I've been using for other terrain, but I might wait until I grab a kind of sandy yellow color instead of the browns I've been using. 

Before all of that, I have a lot of other pieces I've put together that are further along, so it'll be some time before you get to see the finished product. If there's anyone actually reading this, let me know if you want to see some more of the terrain I've thrown together and I'll share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment