Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Giving Up On GamesWorkshop



About seven years ago, I started reading the Warhammer 40,000 novels. Starting with the classic gateway drug of 40k fiction, Eisenhorn, I quickly started Gaunt's Ghosts and wanted to play the Imperial Guard. I liked the idea of normal people facing the horrors of the Warp, the brutality of the foul Orks, the machinations of the enigmatic Eldar, and surviving the hordes of Tyranids. I was drawn to these stories and, of course, I wanted to get in on the action.

I had surplus funds and quickly bought the 4th edition hardback rulebook, the Imperial Guard codex, and a IG battleforce box. I started putting together the minis and tried to rope my friends (the original co-contributors here) in to playing. Being foolish with money, I soon bought Chaos Space Marines to provide a force I could let others try out the game. Soon enough, we figured out that the Assault on Black Reach set was a sweetheart deal and I kept splitting it with people and had a pile of Orks. (Which, thanks to the price increases, I can sell used at a profit.)

Soon enough, I was painting, playing, and having fun with my friends. I was getting more and more in to the hobby, planning events, creating terrain, and losing... A lot. But, I was still having fun. We all were. I also had the idea for the blog and tried to get the others involved. Then, we all got busy, games happened less and less, and I got tired of being the driving force behind getting games together. In time, we pretty much quit playing. I quit painting and just about everything about the game except the books.

All the while, I knew the game was expensive. That was fine, Gamesworkshop makes a quality product. The minis are usually well made, the books always well done with fantastic art, and paints are some of the best quality out there. But, I started noticing 'codex creep' and how every year, the prices of things increased. Then, they started releasing codexes and editions faster and faster. While I agreed, to a degree, with the lawsuit against Chapterhouse, I soon began to see more and more frivolous lawsuits.

I don't know if there was one particular moment when I gave up on GW. It was a slow process, over the course of years. One of the turning points for me was the release of the 5th edition Imperial Guard codex. I loved what they did with the army in the book... But, then they cut down the troop box for Guardsmen. Originally, you could get 20 Guardsmen in a box, which was great, because you needed that many for one of the two required Troop choices. With the new codex release, they got rid of the 20 man box and introduced a 10 man box. For about the same price. They also use to have an 'Armored Fist' box which came with 10 Guardsmen and a Chimera. Given that that edition was much more vehicle friendly, this would have been a great product for new players. But, it never returned to shelves. I can't begrudge a company for wanting to make money, it's their goal. That said, it has become more and more obvious that GW no longer cared about providing a quality environment for players while making money.

I know this may be late for many people who have already turned their backs on GW. That's fine. I wanted to express my own feelings, without lashing out in anger. I've taken time to think about why I don't want to play anymore. I'd rather be late but more balanced about the topic.

So, GW has started to increase prices. Then, they start going after people who sell their products below market price. Excuse me, GW, but you've made your money off of the sale. If someone wants to sell it below what you're selling it at, that's up to them. I've never ordered directly from GW. I always bought from a local store. As I once told them: I'd rather give some of my money to the people in my area then all of it to them. But, GW continues to cause problems. They allow stores to sell their products, make a market in the area, then they open an official store that only sells their product. I don't know if any of you remember, but about 15 years ago, there were Wizards of the Coast stores. And you know what the first thing I ever bought in one of their stores? My first copy of All Flesh Must Be Eaten. Not something made by them. Of course, they dropped other companies' products before the stores went under, but for a time, they weren't as evil an empire as GW.

There are so many issues with what GW has done and continues to do. They got rid of supported tourneys. They've made White Dwarf in to nothing but an ad for their products, not even bothering to be subtle about it. I've heard stories of GW store employees asking people to leave if they mention a game made by another companies or using models made by another company. It's disgusting. To top it off, they made it so you couldn't order a product from a third-party store using a 'cart' online, nor could they ship products outside their 'zone'. It makes no sense. Some people say that GW is afraid of the internet or is stuck in the 90's. I don't think so. I see it more that they're trying to make as much money as possible without regard to their public image. Perhaps they believe that the players will keep coming as they're the biggest game in town. I also think that they know that the rest of the world, people who don't play games, they're not going to pay attention to this kind of thing. If this was any other kind of company, one with a bigger image, there would be public protests and all sorts of things. But, while nerds are becoming more and more out there in the eyes of the Western World, most people could care less about 'little plastic space men'.

I think the final nail in the coffin for GW is their new focus: new players. I understand why they're focusing on new players. To start the game, there's a massive initial investment in this game (or any game for that matter). People who have been playing longer need less. Maybe a new unit here and there and usually things like paints and glue. But, those aren't making as much money for a company as someone who walks in, buys a codex, the core book, and a battleforce. That's hundreds of dollars (or pounds, for our friends across the pond) all in one sale. Then, they'll be back for the paints, glue, tools, and basing supplies. I can see why a company would focus on those new players. They make more money. Some people complain about the updates of codexes and editions, but it makes sense to provide a way to make money from older players as well as providing a means to allow the game to evolve.
The major thing about focusing on new players, to the near-exclusion, of older players is that it's not sustainable in the long term. If you don't keep some people around, keep them engaged and happy, you will eventually reach a point in which there are no more new players to be had. Sure, you've made hefty short-term profits, but you'll end up with dropping profits later on.

Let me put it in context: When I picked up Spinespur, I bought a rulebook and perhaps a dozen models. As I started playing more and more, I bought more and more minis. I also bought more copies of the book (one was a gift for a friend and another was to semi-replace my abused copy I had bought originally). I put up money for the Kickstarter and then bought more minis because of that. But, I haven't bought minis in over a year now. I have no more need to. So, there's not much I can do to support Comfy Chair Games. Not directly, at least. But, since I love the game and think CCG is good people, I can do something: I can talk about their products, I can get others in to the game, and I keep an eye out for their products that I want to pick up.

And that's the difference for me when it comes to GW: I don't want to support them because I can't agree with their way of doing business anymore. I'll paint the minis I bought, I might buy novels from time to time, but I'm not going to spend another dime of my money on any new models, rulebooks, or anything else to play the game. I may buy used, but that's it. I'll give my money to companies that try to create a community based on respect, not greed.
In time, I see Gamesworkshop trying to encourage older players to come back in to the fold. The question is, will any of them be willing to come back?


2 comments:

  1. "You build the Hobby you want, in the Community you want to play in." I whole heartedly believe in this. For me, Games Workshop stopped being in my Hobby, and in my Community, several years ago. I don't play them, paint them, buy them, or even really discuss them much.

    There is a WEALTH of Hobby out there these days! I play ten different games ranging across four scales produced by 8 different companies. And there's games and products my club has to turn down just because we're already too deep in games to play any more! All of them have the same quality of models, in most cases higher quality of rules, far superior company service, and those companies actually are thankful for our business. We have FUN again, and almost all the drama is gone from the Hobby for us. The Marketplace is there: show everyone what hobby you want with your wallet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree in using your wallet to show your support, or lack their of, in the community and hobby. I don't play nearly as many games as you (dear god, where do you find the time???), but when I support them, I go full-bore.

      Delete