Friday, August 21, 2020

Battle Report: Perilous Tales: The B-Team vs Imhotep

Preamble:
Five women, highly trained and highly motivated, set out to discover the cause of the disappearance of a archaeological dig team in the deserts of Egypt. What they find may be one of the greatest threats they've ever faced!

Heroes:
I call this team “The B-Team” using models from Reaper, the “we closely resemble but are legally distinct from” the movie SuckerPunch. I'm using different names but if you want to find them, they're under the Chronoscope line, listed under “Anime Heroine” and “Survivor.”
Barbie – Leader
Traits: Discretion, Sneaky
Bambi
Trait: Marksman
Becky
Trait: Crackshot
Bai
Trait: Lucky
Bobbi
Trait: Medic

Villain:
The Mummy -
Master: Imhotep
Minion (Unique): High Priest of Karnak
Minions: Cultists of Karnak


Set-up:
The Desert Dig Site -
Quicksand (Unsteady)
Blazing Heat (Creeping Horror)
Sand Storm (Raging Storm)

When it came to setting up the board, I might have gone overboard (haha, unintentional pun there). I wanted it to look like something out in the desert with some large holes to represent the pit that would have been dug to discover the tomb. I also used some stuff to represent the ruins that would have been around it as best I could. Next time, maybe a bit less terrain is in order...
I also rolled Aggressive for the deployment of the Threat Tokens, which was a little hard with what I had out.


Objectives:
Stop The Ritual – This required an altar or something like that, so I grabbed the one I got from the first Bones Kickstarter. I had real trouble placing it as it says you're suppose to in the rules. With the requirements for both it and the tokens, it was literally impossible.
Set The Explosives – With how much terrain I had, this one was going to be easy. Provided I could actually get to the other side of the board!
Escape – I didn't score a single point from this one but it is a nice one to have, as you can use it to score points from wounded models.

 

The Game:

I deployed the team kind of near the middle, as my goal was to drive for the middle of the board (for the Altar), some terrain (for explosives), and get the hell out of Dodge! As we all know, that was a fools game...

 

Once the game started, I tried to send Becky off on her own, down a kind of alley, while the rest of the team advanced together. Of course, Becky got close enough to trigger a Cultist and got tied up for the first few rounds. I had to divert Bobbi to help her out and then heal her.
As I tried to advance, I got screwed. Hard. Without the lube. I managed to trigger ALL of the environmental effects, one right after the other, thanks to the successes rolled during the start of the Villainous phases. Then, I brought out Imhotep! He thought Barbie was his Dearly Beloved and then started kicking on Bai, who ended up having to take on another Cultist as well!



So, I had to throw Bambi in to back up Bai, and then had Becky and Bobbi run in after they cleared out the other Cultist. Along the way, I had to have Bobbi heal Becky really quick, and then try to heal Bai as much as she could, which might not have been entirely correct in the rules (it doesn't say you can't heal someone who's Engaged in combat, which might be something to think about moving forward, I'd say “no” if it were me).
Meanwhile, I had Barbie running around and trying to score points. Which was the plan from the get-to, but I didn't like how she was pretty much running around by herself with the Priest out there somewhere. Given how poorly I rolled, I was very glad I didn't have him pop up. Then again, since she was the Princess, she actually would have been fine... Hmm...


By the end of the game, I had a huge snarl in the middle of the board. Imhotep and the Cultist kept trying to smack Bai and missing, while Bai and everyone else kept trying to smack them and kept missing. It was a real comedy of errors, let me tell you. Even with the high skill of Imhotep, I kept rolling tens on the Difficulty dice. At one point, I rolled three tens, one on each die. I still don't know how that should have worked, but since it was the hero rolling, I counted that as two successes. As the rule states that the hero needs to “meet or beat” the difficulty. I rolled two Difficulty dice because I had Advantage, in case you're wondering.



The fight ended when Barbie came back from dealing with the Altar and placing some explosives. Then, she joined the brawl in the middle and whittled Imhotep down. If she had kept moving around, I would have triggered the last two Threat Markers and it would have been bad.

 


Of course, after I killed the Cultist, I realized that the game should have ended three turns ago...
I do have to say that I'm kind of confused about some of the rules. Like, how can you get more than two successes? There's several areas (including the Threat Check Results table) that goes well past the two you can get on a ten. From what I've read, it appears that you get a pass/fail results for successful rules, except when you roll a ten. Should there be a success for each number better the goal and the roll? I'm not sure...
So, with Imhotep and the two revealed Cultist dead, the Altar dealt with, and three explosives placed, I called the game.



Results:
Rank – C
I barely survived, just by the skin of my teeth. I made a lot of mistakes, which both helped and hurt me, but I had real feeling that I was screwed no matter what I did. With the range Markers are activated, and move when you roll the success on the test at the start of Villainous Phase, you're going to be swamped really, really fast. Next time around, I'm going to go for easier objectives and just rush for those.
The one thing that really gets me is how far things have range on such a small table. Threat Markers can be triggered 6” away and, when you roll the most common results on the Threat Check, you're almost always going to have SOMEONE within 10”. When you're racing against the clock, it's like the game is designed to end up with a mess in the middle of the table, which you don't even want to bother to escape because the villains are going to move 6” at a time, towards your heroes, making you choose between duking it out and just running away until time runs out. It just feels slightly off.
All of that said, I do plan on playing it again soon and I'm holding off on a firm verdict until then. So far, it's not terrible and is fun, but it's a slog, no two ways about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment