Friday, September 25, 2020

Battle Report: Last Days - The Screw You Gang VS Jay's Crew

Are you ready for some zombies? Because I finally got a real game of Last Days in, with another person, and boy was it wild. Buckle up!

The Crews:

For this game, I brought my Screw You Gang: (which was featured in my first solo game).

Velma (Leader) armed with a chainsaw and magnum

Daphne (Survivalist) armed with a SAW and a knife

Fred (Tough Guy) armed with a semi-auto and heavy blade

Shaggy (Tough Guy) armed with a pump action shotgun and heavy club

Scary Doo (Dog)

 

And Jay's Crew:

I don't completely remember what all he had, but I do remember that his boss had a shotgun, Sarge was a Sarge character with a High Powered Rifle, he also had a Dog, two Gang Members he called the Safety Twins (one of with had a shotgun), and one other guy. Sorry, but he didn't email me his list.

 


Set-Up and Deployment:

For this game, Jay brought a lot of terrain and I provided a little bit. We had two building that we could enter and set them up across from each other with a bunch of barricades and vehicles in between them, as well as my little pond.

With that done, we put the Salvage Tokens out like you're suppose to, with one ending up in the house.

After that, I we did deployment. I know, we kind of messed that up. So, I set up in cover, as I didn't want to get shot off the board in the first turn. I, once again, split up with Daphne and Fred behind the diner and Shaggy, Velma, and Scary behind the APC. Jay deployed his group with Sarge and this boss behind the house and the rest of his force kind of spread out along the edge, mostly in view.

Once we got set up, we then put out the zombies. We learned something with that, let me tell you.

 

The Game:

During the first Menace Phase, Jay was getting stared down by the zombies. They didn't reach him right away but he had to focus on them right quick. Meanwhile, I won initiative and chose to be the Aggressor. I started slowly moving my group up to the diner and around the APC, and Jay started moving into the house and towards some of the Salvage Tokens. After that, Jay took some potshots at some zombies while I decided to hold off of firing.


During the next Menace phase, Jay gets swarmed. He gets a few from Noise Tokens and the ones that are already out there are getting in his face. I won initiative again (I'll keep doing this through out the game) and again chose to be the Aggressor. I start having Daphne climb up the diner, Fred comes out from behind the diner, Shaggy, Velma, and Scary come out into the open. Meanwhile, Jay has gotten Sarge up into the attic of the house and continues to zip around, moving his dog in front of the diner. During the shooting phase, I find out Sarge is armed with a high powered rifle. I mean, find out the fun way...

 

After this, things get a little hazy, so you'll have to bear with me. Sarge takes out Shaggy, in one shot, and goes Locked And Loaded later. Velma ends up taking out Sarge with her Magnum, ending that threat. Most of Jay's crew is stuck not far from his deployment zone, trying to break off from the zombies, and collects a Salvage Token. Jay's dog engages Fred and takes out a bite. Next turn, Fred rolls a 6 for damage and makes him into dog meat.

What changed the whole game was Daphne. She gets up to the roof of the diner and gets close to the edge. And then starts the hail of bullets. With her position and the terrain, she's got almost the whole board locked down. Jay now had to work around her and I was able to press him. Fred got taken out, as did Scary. For Jay, I took out two of his other goons and it was getting hard for him to do anything. He lost his Salvage Token because I took out the guy who was carrying it, right by the board edge. His leader had to kick a zombie off of him and then fell back into the house. While Daphne could see him, I decided to give him a break and agreed that he couldn't be shot.



And then we got to the Break rolls... 

 


Results:

With both of us down by three members, and him having one more than I, it was really close. But, he Broke and I didn't. I ended up winning and collecting all of the tokens. Thankfully, this was just a one-off game so it won't matter in the long run. It was really a chance to learn about the game.

 


What did we learn? Well, we weren't putting out enough Noise Tokens, and as such, there weren't nearly enough zombies. One thing that made a huge difference was us screwing up the climbing rules. In most of the other games I've played, your models can “hang out” between turns and complete a climb as long as it takes. If we had been doing everything right, I wouldn't have been able to get on top of the diner. However, I'm going to be making some ladders... There were a few other minor things (forgetting when to roll Courage/Horror checks, etc) but we did a pretty good job of getting the rules down.

 


While I do like winning, it was a very close game. If I hadn't taken out Sarge as quickly as I did, I would have been screwed. If I had rolled poorly with my Noise Tokens, I could have been easily swarmed by zombies. If Jay had rolled better in the Shooting phases, he wouldn't have been as slowed down and able to get more tokens. Until the last turn or two, it really felt like it could have gone either way. 


Jay and I have agreed to try playing some more one-off games before starting a campaign. And after that campaign, we might run a Seasons campaign. So, stay tuned.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment